Prevously On… is a new feature here on Elbow Deep. Basically, this is going to be historical events, sporting accomplishments, weird shit and interesting facts that occurred on [insert date here] in the past.
Today is October 8th. Lots of military history, a couple sporting notes, and one helluva fire on this day in…
- 1806 – Napoleonic Wars: Forces of the British Empire lay siege to the port of Boulogne in France by using Congreve rockets, invented by Sir William Congreve.
- 1862 – American Civil War: Battle of Perryville: Union forces under General Don Carlos Buell halt the Confederate invasion of Kentucky by defeating troops led by General Braxton Bragg at Perryville, Kentucky.
- 1871 – Four major fires break out on the shores of Lake Michigan in Chicago, Peshtigo, Wisconsin, Holland, Michigan, and Manistee, Michigan including the Great Chicago Fire, and the much deadlier Peshtigo Fire.
- 1918 – World War I: In the Argonne Forest in France, United States Corporal Alvin C. York kills 28 German soldiers and captures 132, for which he is awarded the Medal of Honor.
- 1944 – World War II: The Battle of Crucifix Hill occurs just outside Aachen. Capt. Bobbie Brown receives a Medal of Honor for his heroics in this battle.
- 1973 – Yom Kippur War: Gabi Amir’s armored brigade attacks Egyptian occupied positions on the Israeli side of the Suez Canal, in hope of driving them away. The attack fails, and over 150 Israeli tanks are destroyed.
- 1990 – Israeli–Palestinian conflict: In Jerusalem, Israeli police kill 17 Palestinians and wound over 100 near the Dome of the Rock mosque on the Temple Mount.
- 2001 – U.S. President George W. Bush announces the establishment of the Office of Homeland Security.
- 1921 – KDKA in Pittsburgh’s Forbes Field conducts the first live broadcast of a football game.
- 1956 – New York Yankees’s Don Larsen pitched the only perfect game in a World Series.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO:
RL Stine; Chevy Chase; George Bellamy; Sigourney Weaver; Monty Williams, The Miz; Travis Pastrana; Mario Cassano.